The STOP Award $1 Million Prize
Honoring education providers that continued to perform for underserved families during Covid.
We are proud to support and endorse their work in the future to provide Sustainable, Transformational and Outstanding education for students in Permissionless settings.
Presented in Partnership with
About the Award
Education for millions of students was upended by the pandemic. Many schools were simply unable to deliver even an adequate learning experience. But times of great challenge often lead to watershed moments of innovation and opportunity.
The Center for Education Reform, through partnerships with a long-time board member and philanthropist, as well as the with powerful Forbes conglomerate, introduced the STOP Award in August. The STOP Award is a $1 million dollar prize presented to an education provider, exceptional group of people, or organization that has demonstrated accomplishment during COVID by providing an education experience that is Sustainable, Transformational, Outstanding, and Permissionless.
The STOP Award is committed to helping ensure that families, now and in the future, get what they deserve: access to individualized learning opportunities for their students, offered in supportive environments, alongside their peers.
After receiving a deep and extremely impressive wave of applications, we identified an exceptional group of 20 Semifinalists which were announced in early November.
From this notable group, our team faces the difficult task of selecting five worthy Finalists. These special groups will be recognized at Forbes’ 30 Under 30 List Launch Party in New York City on December 14th. Together, those five nominees will form our distinguished Finalist Cohort.
The inaugural STOP Award Winner will be revealed during the annual 30 Under 30 gathering hosted by Forbes on December 14, 2021.
We are truly honored to bring these inspired and inspiring teams together in order to advance their significant contributions to the education landscape.
CER Introduces the STOP Award; Application Period Opens
Forbes Announces STOP Award Partnership at 30 Under 30 Event
Application Window Closes
CER Unveils 20 Semifinalists
CER Announces 5 Finalists
Inaugural STOP Award $1 Million Prize Presented to 2021 Winner
Follow on Instagram
Frequently Asked Questions
The STOP award will be granted to ONE education provider, exceptional group of people, or organization who has demonstrated accomplishment in providing a Sustainable, Transformational, Outstanding, and Permissionless education to students during the COVID pandemic.
- Sustainable – a program that is able to live without continual philanthropy by utilizing state education funds allocated for students that will enable students to have the learning environment that best meets their needs.
- Transformational – improves outcomes for students by introducing new approaches, technologies and ways of learning that brings education into the 21st century, for all students.
- Outstanding – demonstrably successful by every measure that matters.
- Permissionless – worked to create educational programs during Covid without asking for permission from any regulatory body, with families’ needs at the forefront.
An eligible applicant needed to meet the following criteria to be considered for the STOP Award:
- Leveraged a novel learning approach that is sustainable, transformational, outstanding, and permissionless
- The novel learning approach was actualized, initiated, and carried out between the months of March 2020 and present day. It is acceptable if the work is either ongoing or has already been completed.
- Serves students anywhere from K through 12 in the United States
- Was focused on serving students in underserved communities
- Can demonstrate clear outcomes and transformational impact as measured by data
- Has a plan for how the $1 million award will expand on their accomplishment to support more students and become sustainable, particularly for those who have not had the benefit of solid education during and before the COVID pandemic.
|ROUND / TASK||DEADLINE DATE|
|Online application available on STOPAward.com||September 8th, 2021|
|Round One – Applications for the STOP Award are DUE||Applications are due by October 31, 2021 by 11:59PM EST.|
|All applicants will be notified as to whether they are moving on to Round Two.||By November 5th, 2021|
|Round Two – Finalist cohort selected.**||Cohort mentorship will begin the week of November 8th, 2021|
|The STOP Award winner will be selected and announced.||January 2022|
News & Updates
Connect with Us
Have additional questions that haven’t been answered above?